Well… I got sidetracked again! There are just too many bunny trails to hop down this time of year, and the last couple of weeks have included lots of hopping! Back to business at hand…
Once Jeff Byington and I chose the dummy that we liked best, it was time to start on the full-size artwork! The first thing to do was line drawings in the proper size. Determining the proper size was not easy, because we weren’t sure how the final product would be published, and each printer offered various page sizes. Plus, in the back of our minds, the possibility of printing an e-book was floating around. Remember, this was a year ago… digital books for children were just beginning to surface, and the ability to self-publish them was a brand new technology. I’m pretty sure that there were only around 500 children’s books and/or apps available when we first looked at this option! (More on the digital book idea coming later…)
So, with lots of size options and more information than my brain could process, we decided to play it safe and go with 8″ x 10″ vertical illustrations, with 10″ x 16″ two-page spreads. That’s the most popular size of picture books. I did the actual artwork on 10″x 12″ and 10″ x 17″ paper. The first batch of drawings that were needed were done in pencil, shaded, and sent to Jeff for approval.
But first things first…
I needed to develop the numbers into characters and get them
in proportion with each other. That was actually pretty fun!
And then they were placed in the illustrations…
If you’d like to learn more about using perspective
and proportion in illustrations,
Mark Mitchell’s illustration course can teach
you how to be a “Space Commander!”
And before I scanned them and sent them to Jeff,
I added a bit of shading!
Next post, we’ll break out the “crayons!”